This is a recipe where I’m not sure if it’s the recipe that’s the problem, the ingredients or the preparations of the ingredients. Either way, I’m a bit freaked out that the feta didn’t melt.
The original recipe is from “Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone” by Deborah Madison. I found this REALLY bitter. Something about the eggplant. If you know what I did wrong, please let me know.
I could also use a celeriac recipe if you’ve got one.
Baked Eggplant with Feta and Tomatoes
0. Preheat oven to 375.
1. Cut an eggplant in half length wise. Criss cross cut the sides (this part confused me a bit).
2. Put a fair bit of olive oil into a pan and “fry” the eggplant cut side down first. Cook until browned. Then flip and do the other side.
3. Deseed and cut up 2 smallish medium tomatoes.
4. Once the eggplant is browned, put it in a dish that will keep it close together (I used my 8×8 dish with aluminum foil to make a nice “nest”).
5. Cook up the tomatoes a bit.
6. Salt and pepper the eggplant. Sprinkle with feta cheese and then top with tomatoes.
7. Cover and bake 40 minutes.
8. Bake another 5 min uncovered.