The ManBeast is not a fan of mayonnaise, so when we decided to have slaw with dinner tonight, I had to search for a non-mayo based recipe. I also wasn’t fond of the idea of cold slaw, it is only 4F outside after all. I really liked the idea of the slaw recipe from Purely Primal, so I made do with what I had on hand, and changed it to fit what I thought might be good. Here’s what I ended up with.
1. Chop up a half a head of cabbage, 1 red bell pepper and shred one carrot. Mix together.
2. Slice in half moons, one small onion.
3. Mix together 2 T vinegar (I used rice vinegar and apple cider vinegar) and 2 T honey.
4. Melt 2 T bacon grease in a large pot, saute the onion until it is slightly soft.
5. Add half the cabbage mixture, and saute stirring regularly, cooking for maybe 3 or so minutes, more if you want it softer, less if you want it crunchier.
6. Add about half the honey/vinegar mixture, stirring well.
7. Transfer the cooked mixture to a bowl and set aside.
8. Melt another 1 T bacon grease and saute the remaining cabbage mixture for a few minutes.
9. Combine the two batches of cabbage mixture and add the remaining honey/vinegar mixture. Add in about a 1/2 tsp salt.
Next time I’ll probably add a touch more salt, and some sort of herb, though I’m not sure which one.